Prince Street Grafton, an Early Photograph
2nd Great-grandmother 1869–1929
When Isabella Marion Cowan was born in 1869 in Grafton, New South Wales, her father, James, was 29 and her mother, Isabella, was 26. She married Edward Emanuel Randall on 16th August, 1892, in her hometown. They had six children in 16 years. She died on 15th June, 1929, in Armidale, New South Wales, at the age of 60, and was buried there.
Portrait photo of Isabella Marion Cowan c.1920’s
Parents of Isabella Marion Cowan
Childhood in Grafton
Her father was a farmer in South Grafton. In 1871, Isabella aged two, was living with her mother, father and sister Jessie, when her brother James was born. In the following years other siblings were born; Archibald (1874), Ethel (1878) and Clarabell (1881). However, from 1875, Isabella’s father James was suffering from gastritis and debility and he passed away on 15th January, 1881, at the age of 40.
Isabella Marion Cowan married Edward Emanuel Randall on 16th August, 1892, in Grafton, New South Wales, when she was 23 years old.
Edward Emanuel Randall married Isabella Marion Cowan on 16th August, 1892, in the Manse at St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church Grafton
Children of Edward Emanuel Randall and Isabella Marion Cowan
Six children were born to Edward and Isabella Randall at various locations, during a period of 16 years from 1893 to 1909:
- Lionel Eric was born on 19th May, 1893, in Grafton, New South Wales, passed away February 1962 in Richmond River, New South Wales
- Herbert Cyril Raymond was born in 1894 in Casino, New South Wales, passed away 24th June, 1973, in St Leonards, New South Wales
- Ruby Norma was born on 2nd June, 1897, in Glen Innes, New South Wales, passed away 17th April, 1980, in Pendle Hill, New South Wales
- Vivien Doris was born on 15th March, 1902, in Emmaville, New South Wales, passed away 23rd December, 1972, in Manilla, New South Wales
- Mona Leola was born on 25th May 25, 1904, in Armidale, New South Wales, passed away in 1979 in New South Wales
- Sybil Daphne was born in 1909 in Uralla, New South Wales, passed away 20th December, 1982, in Sutherland,
Residence and Police Business
Because Edward worked with the New South Wales Police Force, he and his family were stationed at the northern New South Wales centres of Woodenbong, Grafton, Glen Innes, Emmaville, Guy Fawkes, Uralla and Armidale. For nearly fifteen years he was Officer-In-Charge at Uralla. Following her marriage to Edward they moved frequently to the above towns in New South Wales.
Isabella Marion Cowan died on 15th June, 1929, in Armidale, New South Wales, at the age of 60. She had been married to Edward for 36 years. She was buried on the 16th June, 1929, at the Presbyterian Cemetery, Armidale, New South Wales, Australia.
Death of Isabella Marion Randall published in the Uralla Times