“Philiphaugh” by anonymous artist/engraver, published in The Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, about 1857. Image courtesy of ancestryimages.com click to see original engraving.
Robert Smail and Isabel Murray were both born in Selkirkshire, Scotland. Robert was the son of James Smail, he was born in 1787. Isabel, the daughter of James Murray and Elizabeth Hislope was born four years later in 1791. Robert and Isabel married at Yetholm, Roxburghshire, Scotland in 1810 and they had seven children together in 13 years. The fate of Isabel Murray is unknown, but Robert Smail married Elizabeth Keddie in 1832 and they had four children together. He died on 10th December 1847 in Galashiels, Selkirkshire, at the age of 60.
As surely as there are stars in the sky, there are missing documents and sometimes mistakes in this database, hopefully not many! Please check and verify any information you find here with your own original research using primary sources whenever possible.
Robert Smail was born in 1787 in Selkirkshire, Scotland to James Smail. his christening was held on 4th October 1789 at Lilliesleaf, Roxburghshire, Scotland. The name of his mother is not known.
Isabel Murray was born on 29th March 1791 in Selkirkshire to Elizabeth Hislope, age 22, and James Murray, age 26. Caddonmill, Selkirk, Scotland.
Isabel Murray, 19 years old, married Robert Smail, 23 years old, in Yetholm, Roxburghshire, on 15th December 1810.
Birth of Children 1812 – 1826
- Daughter Helen was born on 21st October 1812 in Caddonlee1, Stow, Midlothian, Scotland. Helen died on 10th July 1858 in Sydney, New South Wales.
- Son James was born on 21st August 1813 in “Caddonmill” Clovenfords, Selkirkshire, Scotland. James died on 15th March 1860 in Sydney, New South Wales.
- Son Alexander was born on 14th May 1816 in “Caddonmill” Clovenfords, Selkirkshire, Scotland. Alexander died on 8th October 1867 in Sydney, New South Wales.
- Daughter Janet was born on 15th June 1818 in “Caddonmill” Clovenfords, Selkirkshire, Scotland. Janet died in 1891.
- Daughter Isabella was born on 12th March 1821 in “Caddonmill” Clovenfords, Selkirkshire, Scotland.
- Son Robert was born on 4th April 1824 in “Caddonmill” Clovenfords, Selkirkshire, Scotland. Robert died in 1893 in Galashiels, Selkirkshire.
- Son John was born on 25th March 1826 in “Caddonmill” Clovenfords, Selkirkshire, Scotland. John died in 1893 in Galashiels, Selkirkshire.
1 Caddonlee is a farm in the village of Clovenfords in the Scottish Borders area of Scotland, by the Caddon Water, near Caddonfoot where Caddon Water meets the Tweed. The nearest town is Galashiels.
During the period 1813 – 1827 Robert was employed as a miller at the Caddon Corn Mill by Mr. Smart, owner of the mill. As well as helping Robert at the mill, Isabel was busy looking after their seven children.
Robert Smail married Elizabeth Keddie in Galashiels, Selkirkshire, on 18th June 1832 when he was 45 and she was 32 years old. Elizabeth Keddie was born in 1800 in Ettrickbridge, Selkirkshire. They probably had four children during their marriage.
Birth of Children 1831 – 1836
- Robert and Elizabeth’s child Jas was born in 1831. No further information about Jas is available and the child’s existence is subject to further review and verification.
- Daughter Euphemia was born in 1832 in Selkirkshire, Scotland.
- Daughter Elizabeth was born in 1834 in Selkirkshire, Scotland.
- Son John was born in 1836. No further information about John is available and his existence is subject to further review and verification.
Occupation Between 1839–1845
Robert continued to work as a Miller of corn as well as being an Eastlands Farm tenant near Galashiels, Selkirkshire, Scotland.
Robert Smail died on 10th December 1847 in Galashiels, Selkirkshire, when he was 60 years old.
The fate of both Isabel Murray and Elizabeth Keddie is unknown. It is known that Elizabeth Keddie was in Selkirkshire in 1841 and then moved to Galashiels, Selkirkshire, sometime between 1841 and 1851.
Further research, or information from site visitors, may reveal the final fate of both Isabel Murray and Elizabeth Keddie.