3rd Great-grandfather 1800–1867
Michael Hindmarsh was born on 12th March 1800, in Alnwick, Northumberland, the sixth child of his parents, George, aged 40 and Alice, aged 32. He married Cecilia Sophia Rutter on 15th August 1826, in Campbelltown, New South Wales. They had 14 children during their marriage. He died on 25 January 1867, in Gerringong, New South Wales, at the age of 66.
Michael Hindmarsh was born on 12th March 1800, in Alnwick, Northumberland, England, to Alice Urpeth, age 32, and George Hindmarsh, age 40. He was baptized later in March 1800 at the Sion Meeting House (formerly the Bondgate Meeting House Alnwickterian), Alnwick, Northumberland, England.
Fan Chart showing the parents and grandparents of Michael Hindmarsh and Cecilia Sophia Rutter.
In the following three years the significant events occurring in Michael’s life included:
- His sister Hannah was born on 23rd December 1801;
- Sarah his sister, aged three, died on 24th November 1802; and,
- On 23rd December 1803 his sister Isabel was born.
1805 to 1826
When Michael Hindmarsh was five years old his father George died, his mother Alice, now a widow, was left with five children. A sixth child, William, was born on 2nd April 1805, just six weeks after the loss of his father. At this time the youngest child, Isabel was 16 months old and the eldest child, Eleanor, was 14 years old.
John Nisbet, his uncle, took Michael Hindmarsh to Essington Grange and had him educated and trained in farm work. Sadly, just three years later on 6th September 1808, his mother Alice passed away in Northumberland, England. Michael remained with his uncle at Essington Grange until his departure for Australia on 1st May 1822.
Michael left Leith in Scotland on the 1st May 1822, in the brig “Minerva” the Goddess of Wisdom, under Captain James Bell landing in Hobart Town on 18th October 1822. He then sailed onto Port Jackson aboard the brig “Heroine” under Captain William Ostler, arriving in Port Jackson on the 11th September 1822.
In early 1826 Michael Hindmarsh became infatuated with the Housekeeper of the Hassall family where he had been living for the previous three years. Having finished his three year appointment with Jonathon Hassall, he left his position with the Hassall family in June and married Cecilia Sophia Rutter two months later.
Michael Hindmarsh married Cecilia Sophia Rutter on 15th August 1826, at St Peters Church of England, in Campbelltown, New South Wales, when he was 26 years old and she was 18 years old. Jonathan Hassall, of Matavia, Cook and Jane Rouse, of Rouse Hill were witness to the marriage.
Census of New South Wales
In the 1828 New South Wales, Australia Census Michael Hindmarsh was recorded as a landholder living in the Illawarra with his wife Cecilia and son George.
Thirteen years later, the 1841 New South Wales, Australia, Census records Michael Hindmarsh as the proprietor of Alne Bank in the Camden District of Illawarra. The wooden dwelling is completed and was inhabited by 24 persons of whom 17 were free. The census also records the numbers of each age group, civil condition, religion and occupation of the 24 occupants.
Children of Michael and Cecilia born at Gerringong, NSW during a period of 26 years from 1827 to 1853.
- George John, born 22nd September 1827, passed away 4 March 1918
- William Rutter, born 28th June 1829, passed away 6th May 1914
- Charlotte Alice, our direct descendent was born on 22nd April 1831, passed away 28th July 1914
- Michael Nisbet, born 14th January 1833, passed away 8th January 1912
- Cecilia Sophia, born 8th December 1834, passed away 17th January 1913
- Hannah Isabella, born 5th February1837, passed away 12th July 1919
- Catherine Newell, born 20th June 1838, passed away 3rd April 1920
- Robert, born 14th February 1840, passed away 26th October 1920
- Thomas Alfred, born 30th April 1842, passed away 25th July 1908
- Ellen Caroline, born 20th February 1846, the date of her death is subject to verification
- Jane Elizabeth, born 15th September 1847, passed away in 1936
- Margaret was born 15th September 1847, and passed away soon after
- Frederick James, born 16th June 1850, passed away in 5th July 1911
- Emma Lee, born 23rd June 1853, passed away 14th April 192
Michael Hindmarsh died from natural causes accelerated by excitement on 25th January 1867, at “Alne Bank” in Gerringong, New South Wales, when he was 66 years old.
Inquest and In Memoriam
Newspaper reports from the Kiama Independent regarding an Inquest into the death of Michael Hindmarsh and his In Memoriam
Links to further information
In 1945, a book “Michael Hindmarsh of Alne Bank” was published. It was published by the Suburban Herald Printery, 390 Pacific Highway, Crows Nest, New South Wales.
The Alne Bank Private Cemetery sits on a hill overlooking the majestic Alne Bank homestead. It is surrounded by an impressive stone wall and contains the graves of Michael Hindmarsh and six other members of his family.
Family history information regarding Michael Hindmarsh, Cecilia Sophia Rutter and their children is available on the Ulladulla.info web site.