Great-Grandmother, Kate Fulbrook 1870–1956
When Kate Fulbrook was born on 4th July 1870 in Berkshire, her father, Francis, was 26, and her mother, Hannah, was 27. She had one son and one daughter with Walter Irving. She then married Henry Hall and they had three children together. She then married James Henry Langens on 11th February 1920 in Tamworth, New South Wales. Kate died on 15th July 1956, aged 86, in North Sydney, New South Wales and was buried in Ryde, New South Wales.
Kate’s’ Siblings – all born in Newbury, Berkshire, England
- brother Henry F. was born in 1874;
- brother Walter T. was born in 1876;
- brother Bruce E. was born in 1879; and,
- sister Agnes Z was born in 1882.
Arrival in Australia
Aged 20, Kate Fulbrook departed aboard the ship “Aberdeen” from London, England, on 11th August 1890. She arrived in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia in November 1890. During the voyage Kate was responsible for the care of Mr. and Mrs. Robinson’s two-year old child George.
Just two months after arriving in Australia, her mother Hannah Wyse [1842–1900] passed away in Newbury, Berkshire at the age of 57.
Eleven years later her father Francis William Fulbrook, aged 68, passed away in October 1911 in Newbury, Berkshire.
Partners, Spouses and Children
Walter Irving [1868–1896]
Walter Irving was born on 25th June 1868 in Townsville, Queensland, his father, Robert, was 49 and his mother, Teresa, was 29. He had one son and one daughter with Kate Fulbrook between 1894 and 1897. Walter died as a young father, aged 28, on 9th October 1896 in Bourke, New South Wales and was buried there.
- Their son Stanley Loftus was born on 24th August 1894 in Sydney, New South Wales. [1894–1958] Kate was 24 years old. The family name “Loftus” referred to Walter’s eldest brother James Loftus Irving and his maternal grandfather Loftus Collins.
- Their daughter Marian May was born on 7th March 1897 in Sydney, New South Wales. [1897–1983] Kate was 26 years old. The family name “Marian” referred to Walter’s younger sister Marion Emily Irving.
Henry Hall [1859–1917]
Henry Hall was born on 1st August 1859 in Orange, New South Wales, his father, Benjamin, was 22 and his mother, Bridget, was 20.
Kate Fulbrook married Henry Hall at the Presbyterian Manse of St Andrews Church in Dubbo, New South Wales, on 13th November 1899 when she was 29 years old. At the time of her marriage she was a Dressmaker residing in Bourke, New South Wales.
Following the 1899 Dubbo wedding, both Stanley and Marian, children from her earlier partnership with Walter Irving, were raised as the step children of Henry Hall. Kate and Henry also had three children born in 1903, 1908 and 1910.
- Bruce Henry James Hall was born on 15th November 1903 in Sydney, New South Wales [1903–1974] Kate was 33 years old.
- Alfreda May Hall, was born on 5th August 1908 in Ashfield, New South Wales Kate was 38 years old.
- Stella E K Hall was born in 1910 in Tamworth, New South Wales Kate was 40 years old.
Her husband Henry, aged 58, passed away on 24th November 1917 in Tamworth, New South Wales. They had been married 18 years.
James Henry Langens [1872–1957]
When James Henry Langens was born on 4th July 1872 in Moonbi, New South Wales, his father, Joseph, was 42 and his mother, Elizabeth, was 31. He married Letitia Donaldson and they had two children together.
- Stella Ivy was born on 22nd April 1905 in Tamworth, New South Wales.
- Roy Joseph was born on 4th August 1906 in Tamworth, New South Wales.
James’ wife Letitia died on 10th September 1906, about one month after the birth of her son, Roy Joseph. James did not re-marry until 1920.
Fourteen years later, Pastor Imrie, of Strathfield, married Kate Fulbrook and James Henry Langens at the residence of Mr. and Mrs. M. Whittaker, Lewis Street, Tamworth, New South Wales, on 11th February 1920 when Kate was 49 years old.
James had two teenage children from his earlier marriage with Letitia, but no issue occurred between Kate and James.
Kate and James lived in Tamworth, New South Wales until 1933 when both moved to Asquith in Sydney. Kate died on 15th July 1956, aged 86, in North Sydney, New South Wales and was buried in Ryde. James died on 7th August 1957, aged 85, in Waverton, New South Wales and was also buried in Ryde, New South Wales.